Sunday, March 6, 2011

Days 6 & 7 -- 3/5 & 3/6

I wish there was a Trader Joe's in Rahway.  The closest one is in Westfield, which is not that far, but not a place I really get to during the week.  I went to that location once on a Saturday and it was like attending a 90% off sale at Macy's.  The amount of people was way too much for my taste.  Luckily, there is one literally down the block from my office, but I can only get use of that one during the week.

I didn't work out at all on Saturday (3/5).  I straightened up the house a little, made my signature oxtails with rice & a batch of coquito for some old friends, and went to hang out at a local bar/restaurant in town called The Waiting Room over on Cherry Street.  I've been a big fan the last few years of The Waiting Room; pretty good American fare, great music & great drinks, but I have to say, the last couple of times I've been  there in the last month, the drinks have not been good at all.  I ordered a melonball yesterday and if there was any vodka in that glass, the bartender must've used an eyedropper.  My friend SC's Long Island iced tea was way too heavy on the sour mix.  None of us were happy with our drinks, so we rolled over to Cubanu, a nouveau Cuban restaurant on Main Street.  This joint is jumpin' and with good reason; the food is really good (if not quite the Spanish food that I'm used to), the music is good and the drinks are fantastic, but what really kept me from being a regular was the incredibly slow service, although I have to admit that service time last night was well within an acceptable range.  I'm not much of a drinker -- 1 or 2 a month might be a considered a pretty big deal -- but I managed 2 appletinis at Cubanu because they were so good.

Sunday is the one day out of the week that I'll make an official Sunday breakfast: bacon, grits, eggs, coffee, sometimes waffles -- you know, the works -- and that's just what I did this morning (no waffles today, though).  FYI, if you want to make some great pancakes/waffles, Krusteaz pancake mix is the way to go.  And my coffee of choice is ALWAYS Bustelo; you can keep your gourmet coffee and Starbucks.  In fact, I love Bustelo so much I have some Bustelo t-shirts and a Bustelo beach bag which I carry with me when I go swimming.


The Man and I went to the gym this afternoon.  I did a shortened cardio (24 mins: 1, 5, 3, 7, 3, 5, 1, cool down), then some light upper body work in the weight room, and then swimming in the pool for an hour.  being in the pool after working out felt soooooooo good.  I wish the Y had a sauna.

So what did I eat on Saturday?
  • Water: 33.8 oz.
  • Brunch sandwich on pan-seared Tuscan pane with a brush of olive oil for browning, with grilled chicken, cheddar cheese, baby spinach & bbq sauce.  Around 600 cals.
  • Small plum & 1 medium banana.  Around 180 cals.
  • Oxtails (made with tomato paste, onions & green peppers) & parboiled rice.  Around 700 cals.
  • 6 oz of coquito with rum, About 300 cals.
  • 2 appletinis (12 oz).  Approx.  400 cals.
Total cals for the day:  about 2180 (eeek!)

So what did I eat on Sunday?
  • Water: 33.8 oz
  • Bacon & 1 egg on pan-seared Tuscan whole wheat pane with a brush of olive oil for the browning.  Around 450 cals.
  • 2 small cups of coffee.  About 200 cals.
  • Small plum.  About 50 cals.
  • Collard greens cooked with onions & bacon (for flavor), baked chicken wings & steamed corn.  About 600 cals.
Approximately 1300 cals less the 236 I burned off = net 1064 cals.



No comments:

Post a Comment